Canon EOS M50 mirrorless camera with EF Lens: 4K on a budget
Comprising a versatile feature-set to suit both stills and video applications, the black EOS M50 Mirrorless Digital Camera from Canon separates itself from the pack with UHD 4K video recording, a high-resolution electronic viewfinder, and improved Dual Pixel CMOS AF with Eye Detection AF. Utilizing a 24.1MP APS-C CMOS sensor and DIGIC 8 image processor, improved Auto Lighting Optimiser helps to ensure clean image quality with low noise, along with top 10 fps shooting rate and a native sensitivity range of ISO 100-25600, which can be extended to ISO 51200 for working in low-light conditions.
The sensor and processor combination also enables UHD 4K video recording at 23.98 fps, along with Full HD 1080p60 and HD 720p120 for slow motion capture. The sensor's design also facilitates Dual Pixel CMOS AF, which uses phase-detection autofocus for quick, accurate, and smooth performance to suit both stills and video use. Additionally, Combination IS 5-axis image stabilisation also helps to realize steady, shake-free recording by minimizing the appearance of camera shake.
Canon’s EOS M50 Mirrorless Camera and Lens Specs
Complementing the imaging attributes, the EOS M50 also incorporates a 2.36m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder and a 3.0" touchscreen LCD for intuitive control. The screen's vari-angle design permits working from high and low working angles and its touchscreen interface allows working with Touch and Drag AF for easier manipulation of the AF area. Additionally, built-in Wi-Fi with NFC is available for quick and convenient pairing with a smartphone or tablet for wireless image sharing, and Bluetooth is also featured for image sharing to and remote camera control from a mobile device.
- 24.1MP APS-C CMOS Sensor and DIGIC 8 Image Processor
- Bolstered by the accompanying Canon EF Lens, with the EOS M50 mirrorless camera’s 24.1MP APS-C CMOS sensor and DIGIC 8 image processor, high sensitivity and fast camera performance is delivered to suit both stills and video applications. A flexible ISO 100-25600 range, with an expandable ISO 51200 setting, suits working in a variety of lighting conditions, and the processing capabilities minimize noise and afford Auto Lighting Optimiser for notable clarity in various shooting situations. UHD 4K video recording is also supported at 23.98 fps, along with Full HD 1080p60 and HD 720p120 settings for slow motion recording. Additionally, the processor affords a 10-fps continuous shooting rate, fast camera start-up time, and short interval times between each frame for a more intuitive and efficient shooting process.
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF offers smooth and fast focusing performance in a similar manner to how a camcorder acquires focus. This system integrates two separate photodiodes within each pixel to provide a broad and dense network of phase-detection gathering elements across a majority of the image sensor to reduce focus hunting for faster, more direct control of focus placement. When working with still imagery, this focusing system works to acquire focus quickly and accurately, making it ideally suited to shooting and tracking moving subjects so that critical focus is attained with each shot. Eye Detection AF can also be used for portraiture, and helps to prioritize focus on a subject's eye for ensured sharpness.
When shooting video, a Movie Servo AF mode offers smooth and natural focusing when changing from different subjects or different distances within the scene, as well as the ability to specify tracking sensitivity, AF speed, and Face Tracking priority. Benefited by the Canon Touch AF system, rack focus is possible simply by touching elements within the scene on the touchscreen in order to change focus in an intuitive manner. Subject tracking in movies is also heightened due to the Dual Pixel CMOS AF system's ability to recognize subjects and maintain focus when working within changing or cluttered scenery.
- Combination IS
- Combination IS uses the built-in 5-axis digital image stabilisation in conjunction with lens-based image stabilisation systems to effectively minimize the appearance of camera shake for sharper handheld shooting. This benefits recording while walking or moving, and can also be used in conjunction with lenses featuring optical IS for more effective overall stabilisation.
EOS M50 Mirrorless Camera Body Design and Wireless Connectivity
- Large 3.0" touchscreen LCD provides an intuitive method for controlling focusing points, navigating menus, and reviewing imagery. This screen also features a vari-angle to better enable working from high and low angles.
- Integrated 2.36m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder permits bright, clear eye-level monitoring and also permits working with Touch and Drag AF for manually moving the AF area while shooting with the EVF for more intuitive control.
- Built-in Wi-Fi with NFC allows for easy wireless sharing of both photos and movies to a linked mobile device.
- Bluetooth permits linking a smartphone or tablet for quick, automatic image sharing between devices as well as remote control capabilities.
- Built-in pop-up flash provides additional illumination for working in low-light conditions. A hot shoe is also available for working with an optional external flash for greater control.
Canon’s EF-M 15-45mm STM Lens with The EOS M50 Mirrorless Camera
Included with the EOS M50 Mirrorless Camera body is the versatile standard zoom Canon EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens, which provides a 24-72mm equivalent focal length range. Three aspherical elements help to control chromatic aberrations and distortions throughout the zoom range and an optimised lens placement works to reduce flare and ghosting. An Optical Image Stabilizer works to minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to 3.5 stops for sharper handheld shooting and an STM stepping motor provides fast, smooth, and near-silent autofocus performance.