The Zoom H3-VR Handy Audio Recorder is a compact audio recorder with a built-in Ambisonics mic array offering flexible 360° audio capture as well as integrated Ambisonics A-to-B conversion, eliminating the need for external processing. The device goes well beyond VR applications, and is additionally geared towards sound recordists, audio engineers, and content creators in music, audio-for-video, game audio, and AR production.
It features an Ambisonics mic array with four microphone capsules, which can be utilized to record in Ambisonics, stereo binaural, or standard stereo modes, making it well suited for detailed reproduction of studio-based instrument ensembles and solo performances, audiences, sound effects, EFP, and more. The H3-VR supports full-sphere surround sound recording at up to 24-bit / 96 kHz, as well as real-time stereo/binaural monitoring and on-board Ambisonics A-to-B conversion, eliminating the need for additional processing with a computer in post. You can even export your Ambisonics recordings as stereo, binaural, or 5.1 audio files using the free Zoom Ambisonics Player software (downloadable to a Mac or Windows computer).
The unified single-knob gain control, LCD screen, and transport/menu buttons deliver easy and efficient device configuration and operation. Remote access to transport controls, levels, and metadata is possible via the iOS H3-VR Control app and optional BTA-1 Bluetooth adapter. An integrated 6-axis motion sensor is utilized to provide automatic detection of the microphone position, which ensures proper audio-to-video orientation alignment and simple angle leveling. Dual 3.5mm outputs with independent level control enable simultaneous connection to headphones and a camera. Record to an SD card (available separately), or stream audio via USB to a computer or iOS device. The built-in slate function can be used to verbally mark takes and manually align audio and video files.
The H3-VR supports powering via two AA batteries or a USB connection, and its power LED also serves as a clip indicator. A 1/4"-20 threaded hole on the bottom of the H3-VR accommodates attachment to a standard camera tripod. At less than 5" tall and 3" wide, this recorder is visually discreet and unobtrusive. It is supplied with a foam windscreen, a dual mount adapter, and two AA batteries.
Music Recording Applications in Stereo or 3D Sound
- Accurately capture rehearsals, ensembles, and solo performances in recording studios and concert halls; you can spice up your stereo recordings with the binaural mode that tracks at up to 24-bit / 48 kHz to enhance 2D productions with spatially accurate imaging compatible with standard headphones
Sound for Film
- Record dynamic Foley, sound effects, and ambience for film, television, and video game projects for Dolby Atmos Surround Sound as well as 5.1 Surround processing with the included Mac/PC software
Sound for VR
- Record true 360° Ambisonic audio for immersive VR (virtual reality) and AR (augmented reality) in four channels at up to 24-bit / 96 kHz resolution for detailed 360° audio
Live Streaming Audio
- USB 2.0 audio interface mode supports live streaming and recording via USB Micro-B connection
Versatile Playback, Decode, and Export Functions
- On-board decoder automatically converts the raw Ambisonics A audio to VR-ready Ambisonics B audio, so it can easily be paired with your 360-video
- Export Ambisonics recordings as 5.1 surround files via free Zoom Ambisonics Player software for Mac and Windows
- 6-axis motion sensor provides automatic detection of mic position, enabling the audio and video orientations to stay aligned from scene to scene regardless of mic placement
- Integrated Ambisonics playback allows you to rotate the H3-VR to simulate spatial audio while listening
- Supports real-time headphone monitoring in stereo binaural or simulated 360° mode
- Separate 3.5mm headphone and line outputs with independent volume adjustment allow simultaneous connection to your headphones and camera
- On-board LCD screen displays direction of microphone orientation to suit the position of the H3-VR
- Straightforward buttons include home, play/pause, forward, back, and menu
- Hold function locks the H3-VR's settings while recording
- Simultaneously adjust gain for all mic capsules via a single knob
- H3 Control App allows remote access to transport controls, levels, and metadata notes via your iOS device and optional Zoom BTA-1 Bluetooth adapter, allowing you to control the device in real time without being in the shot—an important consideration for VR audio capture
- Included mounting bracket allows you to mount the H3-VR to your VR camera
Precise Audio Quality
- Sample rate stability is achieved through the use of an accurate internal clock (only 0.5 ppm variance)
- Built-in limiter ensures clean recordings by inhibiting clipping
- Control low frequencies and attenuate rumble with the adjustable high-pass filter
Multiple Powering Methods
- Two AA lithium batteries will power the H3-VR for up to 24 hours
- Two AA NiMH batteries will power the H3-VR for up to 11.5 hours
- Alternatively power the H3-VR via a USB battery pack, 5 VDC USB connection, or compatible AC adapter